Driving The ACE Basin
Places you’ll want to see!
1. Walterboro City Hall: (Hampton Street) This facility was originally built as a WPA project in 1936 and was typical of the style of architecture used during this period. In 1975, the structure’s facade was completely renovated into the existing classical architectural style.
2. Colleton County Court House: (Hampton Street) The court house is one of four structures on the National Register of Historic Places in Colleton County. The building is an excellent example of the architecture of the noted architect, Robert Mills. Completed in the fall of 1822, the structure is in the Greek Revival style of the period. The outside walls are three bricks (28 inches) thick. The front of the structure is set off by two curving stairways with railings which lead to the second floor projecting portico which rests on an arched foundation. A single large courtroom covers almost the entire second floor of the building. A delicate plastered ceiling medallion is the only ornamentation on the cove ceiling. The first nullification meeting in South Carolina was held here in 1828, when Robert Barnwell Rhett called for the immediate secession of the state legislature.
3. Old Colleton County Jail: (Jefferies Boulevard) This landmark structure resembles a miniature fortified castle. The jail was built in 1855 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Designed by noted Charleston Architects Jones and Lee, the Neo-Gothic structure replaces the jail built in 1822, when Walterboro became the seat of justice for Colleton District. It served as the Walterboro jail until 1937. It has been used by Colleton County to house various offices since that time, most significantly the Colleton Museum and the Chamber of Commerce.
4. Walterboro Water Tower: (Memorial Avenue) The tower is an identifiable city landmark for approximately three miles from the city limits. It is located at the end of Washington Street, Walterboro’s central business district. Construction of the tower was completed in 1915, by a Boston, Mass. firm. The tower is built of reinforced concrete and is 133 feet high. The tank section above the windows holds 100,000 gallons of water and is still used by the city.
5. Walterboro Library Society Building: (Church Street) The “Little Library, ” built in 1820, is a small frame building that is an excellent example of Federal Architecture. The Walterboro Library Society was granted incorporation by the South Carolina General Assembly in 1821. When the town was incorporated in 1826, the boundaries were fixed as ” 3/4 ” of a mile in every direction from the site of the Walterboro Library. The building served the town until 1955 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Presently the building is used as a meeting hall by the Colleton County Historical Society and Preservation Society.
6. Saint Jude’s Episcopal Church: (1907 Wichman Street) St. Jude’s Episcopal Church (circa 1888) is built in the Carpenter Gothic Style of the Victorian Period. This particular structure replaces an earlier one that was destroyed during the Cyclone of 1879. The original congregation of St. Jude’s was comprised of plantation owners of St. Bartholomew’s Parish. The Walterboro Library Society building was on the present St. Jude’s site when it served as the center of Walterboro.
7. Hickory Valley: (Witsell Street) During September of 1980, Hickory Valley was designated as Walterboro’s second historic district. Hickory Valley , largely a residential area, is located in the northwest corner of Walterboro. It contains 23 structures, 19 of which were deemed by the S.C. Department of Archives & History to contribute to the historic character of the district. Originally settled by Lowcountry planters, the area was a home for some of the town’s founders and most prominent families. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1821 and 1929.
8. Bonnie Doone Plantation: In 1722, a royal land grant was made to the owners of Bonnie Doone. Rice became one of its chief crops and the original rice fields are still visible today. During the Civil War, Federal troops burned the house which was owned by Dr. Theodore DeHon. No attempt was made to rebuild until the early 1930′s when A.H. Caspary, a New York stockbroker, constructed the existing Georgian mansion. Its ballroom was included in Mrs. Helen Comstock’s book, “The One Hundred Most Beautiful Rooms in America.” A noted New York landscape architect planned the camellia garden adjacent to the house. Caspary’s pet cemetery is behind the house. Currently owned by the Charleston Baptist Association, Bonnie Doone is used as a camp and conference center.
9. Herbert Dent Burial Site: The burial site of Captain John Dent is located at the old Bethel Presbyterian Church off Highway 64. Captain Dent served as acting Captain of the frigate “Constitution” in 1804 during the war with Tripoli, and was senior officer in charge of naval affairs at Charleston during the War of 1812. His home stands next to the SC Artisan Center on Wichman Street.
10.Pon Pon Chapel Ruins and Cemetery: This was the first church established in St. Bartholomew’s Parish and was the Colonial predecessor to St. Jude’s Church. The original wooden building was constructed in 1726. In 1754, it was burned by Indians and a brick chapel was constructed to replace the church. Heavily damaged again by fire during the Revolutionary War in 1782, it became known as Burnt Church. The Parker’s Ferry Road, on which the Chapel was built, served as a stage coach road connecting Charleston and Savannah. President George Washington traveled this road on his Southern Tour in the spring of 1791. The church was rebuilt again in 1821. Worship services transferred to Walterboro in 1832.
11. The Isaac Hayne Tomb & House Site: This site is the ancestral home and burial ground of Colonel Isaac Hayne (1745-1781). In 1770, Hayne was Commissioner of public buildings. He served in the S.C. Senate for a two year term (1778-80). When Charleston fell to the British he was among the Patriots captured. He became a martyr when he was hanged by the British on August 4, 1781.
12. Battle of Parker’s Ferry: On August 30, 1781 General Francis Marion’s forces intercepted a raid of Hessians, British and Tories about one mile from the ferry and forced them to withdraw to Charles Town.
13. Dogwood Hills Country Club: A semi-private club with a nine hole golf course and four tennis courts. Call 538-2731 to make reservations.
14. Forest Hills Public Tennis Courts: Six courts located within a subdivision. No charge for use. Lighted for night play with a pay meter for use of lights.
15. Westvaco Nature Trail: Westvaco Timberland Division has developed this natural resource , located in Jacksonboro, SC. The trail features fauna, flora and historical landmarks such as the old King’s Highway (dating from 1700), old rice field banks and an old phosphate plant site. A word of caution: stay on the trail- stumpholes and irregular footing are among the hazards inherent to the forest. Use hand rails on bridges and observe normal safety precautions.
16. West Bank Public Boat Landing: Located on the Edisto River near Jacksonboro, S.C., West Bank offers recreational boating and fishing and is only 10 miles from salt water.
17. Edisto Marina: Charter fishing is available at the marina. Call (843) 869-3504 for additional information.
18. Bear Island Wildlife Management Area: This area offers great fishing for Spotted Tail Bass, Croker, Bream and Flounder. The hunter will find excellent bow and still deer hunting, dove, duck, quail, and other small game hunting in season. Call the Game Warden (843) 844-2952 for additional information.
19. Bennett’s point Public Boat Landing: salt Water Fishing – access to Ashepoo River and Intracoastal Waterway.
20. Edisto Beach and State Park: The beach area has been a favorite summer resort area for Colletonians for many years. The Edisto Beach State Park consists of 1225 acres, has 75 campsites, park and picnic areas, and furnished cabins. Call (843) 869-2156 for reservations and additional information.